Last updated: May 21, 2022
The below text is to satisfy both your user expectations and the lawyers; however, to be clear of our intent:
This site doesn’t store your data and does not claim ownership of it, period. We own no servers, have no database, no logs, and publish in Static HTML.Further, companies related by common ownership or control have no claim over your data or identity.
Interpretation and Definitions
The words in which the initial letter is capitalized have meanings defined under the following conditions. The following definitions shall have the same meaning regardless of whether they appear in singular or plural.
- Account means a unique account created for You to access our Service or parts of our Service.
- Company (referred to as either “the Company,” “We,” “Us,” or “Our” in this Agreement) refers to My Personal Website.
- Cookies are small files placed on Your computer, mobile device, or any other device by a website, containing the details of Your browsing history on that Website among its many uses.
- Country refers to Minnesota in the United States of America.
- Device means any device that can access the Service, such as a computer, a cellphone, or a digital tablet.
- Personal Data is any information that relates to an identified or identifiable individual.
- Service refers to the Website.
- Service Provider means any natural or legal person who processes the data on behalf of the Company. It refers to third-party companies or individuals employed by the Company to facilitate the Service, provide the Service on behalf of the Company, perform services related to the Service, or assist the Company in analyzing how the Service is used.
- Usage Data refers to data collected automatically, either generated by the use of the Service or from the Service infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit).
- Website refers to this, My Personal Website, accessible from https://matthewjharmon.com.
- You means the individual accessing or using the Service, or the Company, or other legal entity on behalf of which such individual is accessing or using the Service, as applicable.
Collecting and Using Your Personal Data
Types of Data Collected
Personal Data While using Our Service, We may ask You to provide Us with certain personally identifiable information that can contact or identify You. Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:
Usage Data is collected automatically when using the Service.
Usage Data may include information such as Your Device’s Internet Protocol address (e.g., IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that You visit, the time and date of Your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
When You access the Service by or through a mobile device, We may collect certain information automatically. This information includes, but is not limited to, the type of mobile device You use, Your mobile device’s unique ID, the IP address of Your mobile device, Your mobile operating system, the type of mobile Internet browser You use, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
We may also collect information that Your browser sends whenever You visit our Service or when You access the Service by or through a mobile device.
Tracking Technologies and Cookies
(We don’t use any of these but here is information about them and additional privacy information and how to remove them.)
In addition to the publishing of this website on the open internet, this site is also published on Tor, Gemini, I2P, and other locations. You can find these locations in the footer and use them to protect your privacy.
Trust, but verify.
You can confirm that no tracking technologies are used by looking at “Storage” in the Web Developer tools. Additionally, only one tiny script is run, and that is to update the year in the footer.
Cookies and similar tracking technologies are used to track the activity on Our Service and store certain information. Tracking technologies used are beacons, tags, and scripts to collect and track information and improve and analyze Our Service. The technologies We use may include:
Cookies can be “Persistent” or “Session” Cookies. Persistent Cookies remain on Your personal computer or mobile device when You go offline, while Session Cookies are deleted as soon as You close Your web browser.
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Service may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about Your preferences or Your activity on our Service. Flash Cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as those used for Browser Cookies.
- Local Shared Objects. These are similar to Flask Cookies; there are four separate areas in the browser to store persistent data Cookies, Flash Objects or Flash Cookies (see above), the browser cache (see below), and LSO’s (Locally Shared Objects) that are typically in the form of SQLite Databases or other persistent in-browser storage locations. Another is a UIDH or Unique IDentifier Header that is added inline to your query by your ISP. We don’t read your UIDH or use any persistent storage.
- Web Beacons. Certain sections of our Service and our emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons, also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs. This beacon permits the Company, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of a particular section and verifying system and server integrity).
(We use none of the methods above;) if we did, it would be for the purposes set out below:
Necessary / Essential Cookies
Type: Session Cookies
Administered by: Us
Purpose: These cookies are essential to provide You with services available through the Website and enable You to use some of its features. They help to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use of user accounts. Without these Cookies, the services that You have asked for cannot be provided, and We only use these Cookies to provide You with those services.
Cookies Policy / Notice Acceptance Cookies
Type: Persistent Cookies
Administered by: Us
Type: Persistent Cookies
Administered by: Us
Purpose: These cookies allow us to remember choices You make when using the Website, such as remembering your login details or language preference. The purpose of these cookies is to provide You with a more personal experience and avoid You having to re-enter your preferences every time You use the Website.
Content Distribution Network. This website lives in the cloud, via third parties we have relationships with, and every time you load this Website, you’re often pulling it from the a global CDN like Cloudflare, KeyCDN or BunnyCDN. BunnyCDN is our primary and is very privacy positive. KeyCDN is available to us as a backup network. Our service providers may use CloudFlare although we do not directly.
Twitter Website Tag This domain, matthewjharmon.com and others, are listed in publications and social media presence such as Twitter. The Twitter website tag is a piece of Java Script that pulls the “universal website tag” from static.ads-twitter.com.
Use of Your Personal Data
(This is how we use Personal Data we don’t have.)
The Company may use Personal Data for the following purposes:
- To provide and maintain our Service, including to monitor the usage of our Service.
- To manage Your Account: to manage Your registration as a user of the Service. The Personal Data You provide can give You access to different functionalities of the Service that are available to You as a registered user.
- For the performance of a contract: the development, compliance, and undertaking of the purchase contract for the products, items, or services You have purchased or of any other contract with Us through the Service.
- To contact You: To contact You by email, telephone calls, SMS, or other equivalent forms of electronic communication, such as a mobile application’s push notifications regarding updates or informative communications related to the functionalities, products, or contracted services, including the security updates, when necessary or reasonable for their implementation.
- To provide You with news, special offers, and general information about other goods, services, and events that we offer similar to those you have already purchased or enquired about unless You have opted not to receive such information.
- To manage Your requests: To attend and manage Your requests to Us.
- For business transfers: We may use Your information to evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of Our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Data held by Us about our Service users is among the assets transferred.
- For other purposes: We may use Your information for other purposes, such as data analysis, identifying usage trends, determine the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, and evaluating and improve our Service, products, services, marketing, and your experience.
We may share Your personal information in the following situations:
- With Service Providers: We may share Your personal information with Service Providers to monitor and analyze the use of our Service to contact You.
- For business transfers: We may share or transfer Your personal information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of Our business to another company.
- With business partners: We may share Your information with Our business partners to offer You certain products, services, or promotions.
- When you share personal information or otherwise interact in the public areas with other users, such information may be viewed by all users and may be publicly distributed outside.
- With Your Consent: We may disclose Your personal information for any other purpose with Your consent.
Retention of Your Personal Data
(We don’t have a way to retain your Personal data.)
The Company will also retain Usage Data for internal analysis purposes. Usage Data is generally retained for a shorter period, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or improve the functionality of Our Service, or We are legally obligated to retain this data for more extended periods.
Transfer of Your Personal Data
(We don’t have your data, so we can’t transfer it.)
Your information, including Personal Data, is processed at the Company’s operating offices and in any other places where the parties involved in the processing are located. It means that this information may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of Your state, province, country, or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ from those from Your local authority.
Disclosure of Your Personal Data
(We can’t disclose what we don’t have.)
Under certain circumstances, the Company may be required to disclose Your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in response to valid requests by public authorities (e.g., a court or a government agency).
Other legal requirements
The Company may disclose Your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- Comply with a legal obligation
- Protect and defend the rights or property of the Company
- Prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service
- Protect the personal safety of users of the Service or the public
- Protect against legal liability
Security of Your Personal Data
The security of Your Personal Data is important to Us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet or any electronic storage is 100% secure. Therefore, while We strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect Your Personal Data, We cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Detailed Information on the Processing of Your Personal Data
The Service Providers We use may have access to Your Personal Data. These third-party vendors collect, store, use, process, and transfer information about Your activity on Our Service per their Privacy Policies.
Usage, Performance and Miscellaneous
We use third-party Service Providers to provide better improvement of our Service.
- GitHub is used for the storage of this site after processing it with Hugo.
- netcraft site report of Github.com
- KeyCDN is our Content Delivery Service; it pulls from pages hosted at matthewjharmon.github.io.
- netcraft site report on KeyCDN
InterPlanetary File System (IPFS)
- We’ve embraced the Distributed Web / Web 3.0 world and publish in IPFS and The Onion Router aka Tor, so you don’t even need to connect to any infrastructure we manage.
- netcraft site report on IPFS
- BunnyCDN is used by Fleek as their Content Delivery Network for resilience and persistence.
- netcraft site report on Bunny.Net
- Fleek is our CI/CD (Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery) service. After a page is committed and pushed, Fleek picks it up and distributes it to the InterPlanetary File System (IPFS) and the Distributed Web (dweb3) and published at the BunnyCDN.
- netcraft site report on Fleek.co
- Twitter is a social media platform that is used as an informal communication platform
- netcraft site report on Twitter.com and their Web Trackers
Our Service does not address anyone under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 13. However, if You are a parent or guardian and You are aware that Your child has provided Us with Personal Data, please get in touch with Us. If We become aware that We have collected Personal Data from anyone under the age of 13 without verification of parental consent, We take steps to remove that information from Our servers.
If We need to rely on consent as a legal basis for processing Your information and Your country requires consent from a parent, We may require Your parent’s consent before We collect and use that information.
Links to Other Websites
First change recorded 2021-11-05 (November 05, 2021): First tracked policy
Change updated 2021-11-06 (November 06, 2021): Language improvement, Added TOS;DR banner
Change updated 2021-12-30 (December 30, 2021): Added language regarding Twitter Universal Website Tag
Change updated 2022-05-21 (May 21, 2022): Added language regarding no claimed ownership of data.